Friday, November 8, 2013

How to make Ghee

Let's start by saying that ghee is my favorite fat these days, along with coconut oil and flax seed oil. According to Ayurveda medicine, ghee is hailed for its pure vibration and nourishing influence in the body. It's considered medicine for the body and food for the brain. 

I love ghee, it tastes and smells great, it's a great source energy and I can feel how it nourishes me inside out. Also, since the protein and lactose are removed, I can eat it without making Matia feel sick (since I'm breastfeeding). 

Why do you want to make ghee at home? Well, I'm glad you asked. Making ghee at home ensures that you'll pick the best organic milk, who's cows have been grass fed and treated with love, and you'll be supporting your local farmers at the same time. Why not?

Lets start with organic heavy whipping cream, from a local farmer. I hope someday I can get it unpasteurized since it's much better. Put it in the food processor (blenders of any kind work just fine)and blend!



You blend and blend for a few minutes, maybe 3-4. At first you'll get whip cream. Keep blending until the solid part looks more yellow and solid, and you find that the milk has been divided into two: the butter, and the milk (buttermilk). Then stop the blender.



I use a piece of fabric to squeeze all the liquid, the buttermilk, from the butter out. This milk can be used to bake, or just drink. I believe is low in fat (since all the fat is in the butter). 



Now lets make the Ghee: I put the chunk of butter in a shallow pot, and heat on low heat until all the water has boiled off, and the protein (the white stuff you see on top) has turned into a light brown color. 


Stir often since it'll prevent from burning and sticking to the pot.



It takes a few minutes, depending on your flame and the pot you use, but you'll know it's ready when the yellow of the butter looks like gold, and the protein has clearly been separated from the fat. 



Let the golden ghee cool and solidify and store outside of the fridge. It'll be great for about year. 





Next: enjoy all the delicious flavor, aroma and health benefits of ghee. 

I guarantee you it wont last for a year on your shelf. I make ghee for my family once a week or so, since we use it for cooking and baking (its smoke point is 482°F) on our toast, oatmeal, rice, etc.

More health benefits: ghee can also be used as an oil for the body, to treat constipation. It stimulates digestion and aids in the absorption of vitamins and minerals, helping strengthen the immune system. 

Have you ever made ghee? Do you have a favorite fat, oil? 

Yay for fat! happy Friday!




1 comment:

  1. Mmm, delicious fat. Delicious healthy fat. Could life be better? :)

    ReplyDelete